Saturday, March 15, 2014

Lifting us from the Depths

There are times in all of our lives that we feel like we are too far in a ditch and we can't get out. Too deep for the light to reach. The darkness overcomes us completely, and no hope of succeeding is left to soothe the soul. There seems to be no light to give us any sort of hope that we can overcome the trials we are faced with. No refuge from the storms that beat against us. No way to escape the lashings of the blinding rain and wind encircling our minds. We seem to get lost in the abyss of gloom and haze; unable to rise above the darkness and step into the light-the light that we know will instantly bring comfort and hope.

Many hours, days, weeks, and even months of my life have been spent in a place similar to this. It's not a place that anyone enjoys to be in, but it's a place I think too many of us get stuck in at times. Each one of us is faced with hard things....physical, emotional, spiritual problems. We all have them and live each day with the burdens that come from carrying them in our lives.

One night in particular I was burdened down with never-ending knee problems, feeling useless, and a whole slough of other insecurities. I'm pretty sure I was laying on the floor in a crumpled, broken pile when my best friend and companion came over to me and reached down her hand and helped me up.

I wasn't expecting it, but in that instant a huge wave of gratitude came over me and I was so grateful for her love for me. She didn't say a single word, she just simply picked me up from the heap I was in on the floor.

This experience was life changing. Not only did I come to understand the love my friend has for me, but I was able to understand the love that my Father in Heaven and Savior, Jesus Christ have for me.

"God LOVED us so He sent His Son. Christ, Jesus the Atoning One."

Something I have learned on my mission is that I matter. I'm good enough. I am good enough to have Jesus Christ, the Son of God atone for my sorrows. For my sins and my sadness. And because I am good enough for that, I am good enough for my Heavenly Father. I'm good enough for Him with my messed up knees, and my allergies, and all the other things I struggle with....He still loves me even though I am very imperfect.

I have also come to understand that because He has this love for me, He also has this kind of love for every single other person on the earth. He loves us all! And what a blessing that is to know that. I love it.

Coming to understand this truth in my life has helped me understand that others need to feel this same love. There is so much sorrow and sin that everyone needs to know that they have Savior who can make us whole, and a Father who loves us no matter what. Knowing this has changed my life. And even though there are times that I want to give up and quit, I am grateful for the trials I have in my life. They have helped me understand the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and I want to help others.

I love the simple truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I love my Savior.

I love my Father in Heaven.

I love my companion.


These are my thoughts today....


1 comment:

  1. You 2 are wonderful together! I'm thankful you found each other, and that I was blessed enough to have you run into me. God knows what He's doing :)

    ReplyDelete